Dentures are one of the most common ways to replace missing teeth. Dentures today look and fit better than they have in the past, but there are still a lot of misconceptions out there about dentures. The good news is that you don’t have to let myths about dentures keep you from restoring your smile and your ability to speak and chew.
Common Misconceptions About Dentures
- If you have dentures, you don’t need to visit the dentist anymore. Not true! Dentures need to be cared for just like your natural teeth do. Dentures can become discolored and develop calcium deposits; their fit may also need to be adjusted. Regular trips to the dentist will ensure your gums stay healthy and your dentures fit comfortably.
- Dentures are ill-fitting and will fall out while you are talking or chewing. Custom-made dentures will fit the contours of your gums so they should stay put—even without adhesives. Over time, though, your gums will shrink causing the dentures to loosen. This is just one of the reasons regular visits to the dentist are so important.
- Dentures are ugly and look fake. Dentures today look much more natural than they did in the past. They no longer click or shift around in your mouth. Most people will be unable to tell you are even wearing them!
- You won’t be able to speak properly with dentures. Although there will be an adjustment period when you first get dentures, you will get used to them and you will be able to speak normally. Custom-made dentures will fit you comfortably!
- Dentures last forever. Dentures can become damaged. In addition, your gums will change shape over time, so your dentures will need to change as well. This is why regular trips to the dentist are important, even for denture wearers.
- Denture repairs take many days. Most people are surprised at how quickly their dentures are ready after needing repair, with most repairs taking just a few hours rather than days. The main thing to remember is to not try to repair them yourself—or you might end up needing a brand new set of dentures!
Dentures are a Great Replacement for Missing Teeth
Talk to Dr. Arturo Ricard at Ricard Family Dentistry to find out if dentures are a good option for you. Don’t let myths and misconceptions about dentures in Fort Pierce stop you from getting a custom-made beautiful smile!